Here are some crime prevention tips to help keep this valuable commodity secure for your business:
- Keep vehicles in a secure area (garage, shed or outbuilding)
- Use secure areas for parking and make sure any gates are secured and locked to such areas
- Park vehicles in well-lit areas so they are easily visible
- Consider the use of locking gas caps
- Do not leave keys in or near a vehicle or where they can be easily located
- Use appropriate signage at entrances where security devices are being used – it will act as a deterrent
- Post “No Trespassing” signage around property
- Consider the use of fuel cards or off-site fueling as opposed to storing fuel on site
- Re-fuel vehicles the day of the planned use rather than keeping the tanks fully fueled overnight
Contact the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office at 804-365-6140 to report fuel larcenies.
For more information about the Business Watch program click here.